Re: The RFC 20 rationale (was: Re: Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP)

FWIW, I'd have no problem modifying or removing that part of the
status change document. A bit more below...

On 12/08/15 09:45, John C Klensin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> (Changing the subject line because this is a little bit of a
> diversion)
>
> The proposed status writeup for this change contains the
> statement:
>
> 	"The closest precedent we have for this status chage is
> 	the change of RFC20 to Internet Standard. [4] That shows
> 	that if the text of an RFC is acceptable, the age of the
> 	RFC isn't material in discussing proper RFC status. "
>
> Because this proposed action may be precedent-setting whether it
> is approved or not, I'd like to see that paragraph removed.  If
> RFC 20 is the nearest precedent, then I suggest we have no
> precedent at all because:

To clarify: I don't think RFC20 is a precedent for saying
yes to this status change and the above wasn't intended to
imply that. The only precedent I think we get from RFC20 is
that the argument "that text is old" is not *by itself*
reason enough to say no to the status change.

As far as I know there aren't any other status changes that
provide us with useful precedent here, but I could be wrong
on that.

So we could modify or remove that paragraph fairly easily
I think. (Mind you I'm also not getting why that is an
important change to make.)

If nobody suggests an alternative, or to keep it, I can
remove it. (Might be better done in a week or so, around the
middle of the LC in case there are other accumulated changes.)

S.