Re: Order of CNAME and A in Authoritative Reply.

Hi Viktor,

On 11 Aug 2015, at 11:11, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 03:56:03PM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
>
>>> Which clients that are not recursive resolvers talk directly to
>>> authoritative nameservers (not counting "nslookup", "dig", ...)?
>>
>> Those, like ping, where a foo.local is provided by a local,
>> authoritative, nameserver.  DNS is increasing being used on a local
>> level, e.g. as a distributed key/value lookup.  That's one reason why
>> new servers are coming along and meeting old clients.
>
> The ping program talks to whichever recursive resolver is specificed
> in /etc/resolv.conf.

More detail is useful, here. The ping program uses a local API to translate a name into an address. In the case where that translation requires use of the DNS, a stub resolver sends a query to a recursive resolver. So probably the stub resolver that we're talking about here is one of those included in one of those libcs mentioned previously.

> Perhaps in the case of ".local" and mDNS,
> there are platform-specific variations in how such names are
> resolved.

In the case where that translation requires use of some other protocol like bonjour or tor, different mechanisms are used.

>>> However, it is not clear why the order of records in a non-recursive
>>> response needs to be constrained in any way.  Surely, recursive
>>> resolvers can reorder the records as necessary?
>>
>> I have a lack of DNS Fu.  If the recursive resolver looking up (A?
>> foo.local) talked to the authoratitive server that answered (A
>> bar.local=1, CNAME foo.local=bar.local) then, assuming it understood
>> that completely answered the question, might it not simply copy the
>> answer back to the client without re-ordering?
>
> Recursive resolvers construct answers from their caches, and may
> need to query multiple nameservers

... recursive servers, authoritative servers, or both...

> to obtain the information needed
> to provide the answer returned to the client.  They generally don't
> just proxy response packets from upstream servers.

They are specified not to, in fact, in the sense that they have requirements such as RD/AD/CD processing, managing TTLs, etc.

Joe