Re: Order of CNAME and A in Authoritative Reply.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 04:41:04PM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> > Go the programming language? I'm confused as to how that's a client of
> > an authoritative server, either.
>
> Go implements its own resolver rather than use the local libc's, e.g.
> glibc's.  All of them are stub resolvers, yes, but if asked to look up
> foo.bar.local and /etc/resolv.conf has only the authoritative bar.local
> server in it then they get an authoritative response without a
> third-party recursive resolver being involved.

[ Perhaps ietf@xxxxxxxx is the wrong list for this discussion. ]

Best practice is to not conflate authoritative and recursive DNS
servers.  If you put an authoritative rather than a recursive
resolver in /etc/resolv.conf, that's a misconfiguration.

I have a recursive resolver on 127.0.0.1:53 and an authoritative
nameserver on <public-ip>:53.  The /etc/resolv.conf file lists only
the recursive server on the loopback address.  The authoritative
server refuses recursive queries.

--
	Viktor.