Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

On Jul 25, 2015, at 2:52 PM, Christian Huitema <huitema@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We should note however that there is no technical requirement that special purpose domains be top level domains. When we developed the peer-to-peer naming system PNRP, we simply registered "PNRP.NET," and rooted the peer names there. That meets the "registration" requirement, but it does not meet the kind of special purpose processing that ".local" or ".onion" require, when security dictates that the special names must not me resolved by the DNS.

This has been discussed earlier in the conversation.   This is probably a valid solution in some cases, but the length and understandability of the name does matter in some cases, so if we were to implement this as a solution for all problems of this type, it would likely not be found satisfying in all cases.   Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it, but it doesn’t really solve the problem.   E.g., “.home.blort” is clearly worse than “.home”, because it’s more typing, and the token of meaning isn’t on the end.