Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

IF IETF would have a list of domain names not suitable for being TLDs (which it has, but you understand what I mean, I strongly would encourage ICANN to point at that list by IETF when ICANN create this list of theirs, at least for the bootstrap, or maybe even the IETF list would be that black list. But now I know I discuss ICANN PDP here and not IETF, but unfortunately the two are intertwined.

ICANN excluded the IETF reserved names last time, and it seems certain they would do so next time. The question is whether we can update that list to be complete enough to be useful, and do so in a timeframe that would keep it useful. I have my doubts. More than doubts.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY