Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

On 7/9/2015 4:05 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> Interesting comment on the authoring.  I believe that according to our
> own stated policies, it would be wrong to list the RSE as an Author. She
> did not write the words.

We list authors who did not 'write the words' all the time.

The policy I found is:

     RFC Series Editor statement on authorship

     http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2015-May/008869.html

It has conflicting text.

The high-level policy text is:

     "responsible for the technical content of the document"

which is entirely reasonable language and matches long-standing
practice, whereas the text you are presumably citing is:

     "If the development of a document has been
delegated or subcontracted, the authors are the person(s) doing the
actual writing, not the person(s) delegating or subcontracting the work."

is not.  I think we are demonstrating a basic problem with this latter,
arbitrary and overly-fine-grained rule.

d/
--
Dave Crocker