Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

This discussion has been very informative!

Just as an example, Journal of Optical Communications and Networking uses the volume number and page number. Here are two JOCN DOIs I used recently in RFC informative references:

10.1364/JOCN.4.000001 (actually Vol. 4, Issue 1, pp. 1-14 (2012))

10.1364/JOCN.7.00A447 (actually Vol. 7, Issue 3, pp. A447-A458 (2015))

For RFCs, I actually don't mind:

10.17487/rfc1149

Since DOIs are opaque, that doesn't preclude future use of a numeric prefix as well for something completely different.

The draft should be clear about whether or not leading zeros are used for low-numbered documents.

Cheers,
Andy

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 8:29 PM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Can you explain where such a suggestion is made?  As to the form that
>comes AFTER the prefix, THAT is worthy of discussion, but that indeed
>may be too late.

As I note in the draft, the part after the prefix is opaque.  The DOIs
that the ACM assigns are two numbers that have no connection to
anything else I can figure out.  The IEEE uses some combination of a
short abbreviation of the journal name, the year, and a sequence
number that does not tell you what issue the article is in.

In retrospect, rather than making them look like RFC numbers I should
have used a pseudo-random 10 digit hash of the date, authors, and
document title so people would stop complaining about RFC123 vs.
RFC0123.

R's,
John