Re: Randomness sources for the IETF 2015-2016 Nomcom Selection

On 6/23/2015 7:00 AM, Ofer Inbar wrote:
> To me, the idea that it's "political" to use the US debt, is on its
> face hard to believe or take seriously.  So before everyone else has
> to justify every other claim down to many levels of detail, can we see
> any justification of the claim that there's any disadvantage to using
> this convenient number, or that it's done for political reason?

1) zero evidence that this is an accurate source of entropy.

There are modern alternatives:

- treat Nomcom selection as something other than the securing of
international resources, and use a seed based on the message ID of the
first Nomcom announcement or such.

- use a *true* source of entropy, such as quantum effects or energy
noise. Two alternatives, based on these two effects respectively,
already exist:

	http://www.nist.gov/itl/csd/ct/nist_beacon.cfm
		includes signed escrowed values from previous dates

	https://www.random.org/
		this one has a list mode that can be based on previously
		generated values:
		https://www.random.org/lists/?mode=advanced

The use of a true source of entropy would also obviate reliance on hash
algorithms as well.

Joe