Re: Randomness sources for the IETF 2015-2016 Nomcom Selection

The US debt has many digits, and is published regularly by an agency
with a tradition of not fudging the data.  It's a perfectly reasonable
source of randomness.

Why do you feel that's true?

There could easily be an artifact in how it's calculated that biases
certain values or increments, which could affect the numbers posted.

Because I have some familiarity with the way the US debt works. The low digit probably isn't random since most debt is sold in $1000 increments and there may be some artifact of the way the interest is rounded, but other than that it's the aggregate of a vast number of separate transactions.

I see no good reason to use debt values other than as a political statement.

So you said.  Opinions evidently differ.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY