RE: Proposed Statement on "HTTPS everywhere for the IETF"

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:54 AM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> On 4 Jun 2015, at 9:37, Tony Hain wrote:
>
> > My overall concern here is that statements like this undermine the
> > integrity of the organization. I understand people wanting to improve
> > overall privacy, but this step does not do that in any meaningful way.
>
> Encrypting the channel does provide some small amount of privacy for the
> *request*, which is not public information.  Browser capabilities, cookies, etc.
> benefit from not being easily-correlated with other information.

What Joe says. Encrypting data is just one component of providing privacy, but it is a very useful component. Clear text headers leak various kinds of "meta-data," which facilitate correlation and traffic analysis. For example, if people access the IETF from a public Wi-Fi and manages to leak meta-data on that hot spot, their traffic will be very hard to analyze and correlate with their identity. Of course, that takes more than just encrypting the end-to-end application traffic, but encryption is definitely a key component of the solution.

> It would be interesting to define an HTTP header of "Padding" into which the
> client would put some random noise to pad the request to a well-known size, in
> order to make traffic analysis of the request slightly more difficult.  This is the
> sort of thing that comes up when we talk about doing more encryption for the
> IETF's data, which shows the IESG's suggested approach to be completely
> rational.

Yes.

-- Christian Huitema