Re: WG Review: CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (cose)

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 02:52:06PM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> It did not need to be this way. Many of us who commented on CBOR said that
> we do not want any encoding that changes the JSON data model. In fact the
> only limitations we find in JSON are the need to perform escaping on string
> literals and the lack of a binary blob type. Rather than develop a [...]

Also inefficiency as to numbers.  In a binary protocol ideally numbers
could be sent in whatever format is easiest for the sender (e.g.,
little-endian IEEE754 doubles).

All I wanted was: chunking for strings, which effectively takes care of
the need for a binary type, and binary numbers.  CBOR added a datetime
type, optional tagging of items, and who knows what else.

> IESG should reject this WG proposal and all future proposals of this type.

+1 to this and Sam's take.

Nico