Re: e-mail password reminders discontinued

On 19-05-15 17:14, John Kristoff wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2015 15:33:16 +0100
tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's a shame.  The value of the reminder was not the password, but a
confirmation that I was still subscribed to the lists that I thought that I
was subscribed to, and had not been unsubscribed due to some dark art of the
mailing list processes - which has happened to me on more than one occasion.

I once worked alongside a team that found themselves supporting a
particularly unreliable system.  For a reason that I've now forgotten,
this team decided to create a test to verify the system was still
responsive and send out an alert via a paging system if it was still
operational.  This was run every hour, twenty-four hours a day.

This is still applicable to mobile phones.
I see zillions of people turning on their mobile every five minutes
or so, just to check that is is still working...

I can't help but think the use of a mailing list password reminder is in
a way similar to my exaggerated example.  As another colleague once
told me, don't look at it as a "backup" problem, look at it as a
"restore" problem and your whole perspective, and likely your solution
changes to better address the challenge you're faced with.  There
may be another, perhaps better way to solve this particular
problem.  :-)

Why not send only a list reminder, without the password.
And for each list a link to the listinfo page where one
can unsubscribe or retrieve the password if necessary.

Regards, Huub.

              请记住,你是独一无二的,就像其他每一个人一样