Re: Working across WGs versus charter fetishes

On 29/04/2015 04:36, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> In theory the purpose of having the IETF meet as it does is to
> encourage people in different areas to work together.
>
> So why is it that whenever I propose designing something for WG A in a
> fashion that allows it to be used by working group B along the road
> that there is a constant chorus of 'out of scope'?

Maybe they didn't read RFC 1958:

   3.2 If there are several ways of doing the same thing, choose one.
   If a previous design, in the Internet context or elsewhere, has
   successfully solved the same problem, choose the same solution unless
   there is a good technical reason not to.  Duplication of the same
   protocol functionality should be avoided as far as possible, without
   of course using this argument to reject improvements.

       Brian