Re: comments on newly generated html draft format and font sizes

Hi Micke,

On 2015-04-22 14:26, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know where to turn, so I'll send email here.

Ok.  For the future, anything that has to do with content on the tools
server should go to either wembaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.
(It will end up on my plate in any case).

> I am reading two documents:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-04
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-02
>
> The last one was created in in the past day or so. I noticed that it was
> in a much larger font size than other IETF html documents. I looked into
> the source, and the first one has "font-size: 1em;" in body {} and the
> last one has "font-size: 12pt;". I don't know if that's actually is the
> right place to look, but that's the one I found.
>
> I am not an expert in HTML and CSS, but "1em" seems to result in a better
> expected result for me than "12pt".
>
> I use latest Chrome on OSX 10.10.3. If I resize the 12pt document to my
> liking, now the "1em" is too small, and the other way around. This is
> really painful when trying to read two documents that are referring to
> each other and switching between them.

Agreed.  So, when I first set up the HTML converter for drafts and RFCs,
about 10 years ago, screen DPI was such that the documents served /without/
a point (pt) size mostly displayed on screen in the size I believe
people today will experience with the '12pt' documents.  What prompted
me to start changing this over was that the documents /without/ a point
size displayed so disgustingly small on smaller devices, like tablets.

The intention is to apply a point setting consistently to all the
htmlized documents on tools.ietf.org; the process of converting a document
is however sufficiently CPU-intensive that a bulk conversion of all ~165000
documents will take time.  Till now I've let it to progress at the rate
I renew the conversion by default, which should have them all done in about
20 days.

> If I take the "12pt" document and do "view source", I get the text in the
> same size as the "1em" documents. It thus seems to me that at least Chrome
> defaults to 1em and for some reason treats "12pt" differently.
>
> I like the old format better, the 12pt documents just defaults to too big
> text for me.

I'd like to hear from other people.  The choice of 12pt for today's devices
can definitely be changed; please let me know if you have a preference for
a different point size.

The effect of having two different sizes is transient.  I'll see if I can
speed it up, but it's /not/ going to be a permanent misfeature.

> If I look at the txt versions (change /html/ to /id/) then they are the
> same text size as the "1em;" versions.
>
> So to summarize:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-02.txt
> https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-04.txt
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-04
>
> all have the same font size on my screen (including following each other
> when I do cmd + and cmd - in one of them).
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-02
>
> is a few font sizes bigger. Could someone please look into this, it
> doesn't seem optimal to me?

Understood.  Sorry I didn't hit the sweet spot for you in the first go.

Best regards,

	Henrik