Re: New datatracker UI

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Masinter" <masinter@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Hector Santos" <hsantos@xxxxxxxx>; <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2015 1:49 AM

> I think the discussion about “no JavaScript” in the Data Tracker got
side-tracked by bringing up IE6.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hildebrand-html-rfc/
>

> identifies requirements for Internet Drafts and RFCs, for general
access and long-term preservation.

> It notes:
>
>    Any use of JavaScript in the HTML document will not negatively
impact
>    the ability to read the document.  Some consumers of the RFC series
>    routinely disable JavaScript for security purposes.
>

> If that guideline had been followedd
>
> It notes other requirements such as accessibility, ability to
regenerate from available data,
> platforms to test, charsets and more.
>
> Other HTML documents and interfaces in IETF’s web site should have
similar guidelines
> (including “don’t disable old URLs like ftp://ftp.ietf.org…”;).
>
> Perhaps draft-hildebrand-html-rfc would be a good starting point?

I note that the title and Introduction of that I-D are specific to RFC,
no mention of I-D.  But even so, for me, I almost always use the text
version, not HTML, certainly with I-D where I want to edit
the text as I read it, as comments are made on it, as it changes with
revisions.  Theoretically feasible but too much of a pain with HTML.

Whereas the datatracker and other bits and pieces of the IETF nexus are
a website, where I search, link to others (IRTF, IANA ...) go into and
out of Charters, e-mail archives and so on.  A completely different
pattern of use where the functions of HTML are essential.

Tom Petch