Cost was Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

Michael,

> On Apr 6, 2015, at 12:14 PM, Michael StJohns <mstjohns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> At 01:31 PM 4/3/2015, IETF Administrative Director wrote:
>> All;
>>
>> The use of FTP to retrieve files from the IETF servers has been
>> declining steadily.
>

> Hi Ray -
>
> What is the cost of leaving FTP service in place?  I would expect that the cost was more in setting up FTP in the first place (e.g. adding it to template emails, configuring the servers) than any real day to day cost, but I could be wrong.
>
> What is the cost of removing it?  (e.g. besides simply shutting off the servers, what else has to be done, who has to do it and what will it cost?).
>
> Is there an impact on the IETF budget either way short term?  Long term?
>
> Thanks - Mike

There is no cost to turning it off.

There is an incremental savings in maintenance and support burden,
and complexity.

The FTP server we are using (proftpd) places restrictions on how we
store files in the file sytem that are much more constraining than
the http and rsync daemons. Essentially, the files to be served must
be stored in a single tree (as hardlinks - symlinks won't work).
This is impeding work as we evolve. In particular, it affects how we
separate services to take advantage of cloud architectures.  Other
servers have different limits, but still place significant
constraints on what we can do. Since the information is already
available through other mechanisms (particularly rsync), the folks
studying the problem recommended discontinuing the service, rather
than investing in finding the least onerous deamon and reconfiguring
to it.

Ray