RE: Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-uta-xmpp-05

Hi Peter,
The new text address my comments, I just have a proposal on section 3.5 see
inline

Roni

RFC.

> > Major issues:
> >
> > I am wondering why this document is a standard track and not
> > Informational, reading it I get the impression that it repeats text
> > from
> > RFC6120 and does not provide new normative information.
>
> Ah, I see the confusion.
>
> Earlier versions of this document repeated the recommendations from draft-
> ietf-uta-tls-bcp and explicitly applied them to XMPP. At some point we
> refactored the document so that it wasn't repeating the text (because
that's
> usually a bad idea - things can get out of sync etc.), but in the process
we lost
> those normative statements.
>
> To fix the problem, I suggest that we change the following paragraph and
move
> it to be the first paragraph of Section 3:
>
> OLD
>        NOTE: Unless explicitly noted otherwise, all of the
>        recommendations specified in [I-D.ietf-uta-tls-bcp] apply to XMPP.
>        In the main, this document merely provides supplementary
>        information; those who implement and deploy XMPP technologies are
>        expected to follow the recommendations of [I-D.ietf-uta-tls-bcp].
>
> NEW
>        XMPP implementations and deployments MUST follow the
>        recommendations provided in [I-D.ietf-uta-tls-bcp] unless
>        explicitly noted otherwise herein.  Instead of repeating those
>        recommendations here, this document mostly provides supplementary
>        regarding implementation and deployment of XMPP technologies.
[Roni Even] This is clearer now

> > Section 3.1 talks about TLS support and say that it SHOULD be tried
> > but since it is a SHOULD I assume that failure may happen and non TLS
> > connections may be used ( I am not sure what RFC6120 say about it.
>
> Section 3.1 attempts to say this (but clearly we did not phrase things
very well):
> the lack of an indication that a connection endpoint supports TLS SHOULD
NOT
> prevent a connecting entity from attempting TLS negotiation. In fact, I
think we
> could say MUST NOT (the "SHOULD" comes from local policy).
>
> Therefore I suggest the following rewording:
>
> OLD
>     The server (i.e., the XMPP receiving entity) to which a client or
>     peer server (i.e., the XMPP initiating entity) connects might not
>     offer a stream feature of <starttls xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns
>     :xmpp-tls'/>.  Although in general this stream feature indicates that
>     the server supports XMPP 1.0 and therefore supports TLS, it is
>     possible that this stream feature might be stripped out by an
>     attacker (see Section 2.1 of [I-D.ietf-uta-tls-attacks]).  Therefore,
>     the initiating entity SHOULD proceed with the stream negotiation even
>     if the receiving entity does not advertise support for TLS.
>     Similarly, although a receiving entity SHOULD include the <required/>
>     child element to indicate that negotiation of TLS is mandatory, an
>     initiating entity MUST NOT depend on receiving the <required/> flag
>     in determining whether TLS will be enforced for the stream.
>
> NEW
>     The server (i.e., the XMPP receiving entity) to which a client or
>     peer server (i.e., the XMPP initiating entity) connects might not
>     offer a stream feature of <starttls xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns
>     :xmpp-tls'/>.  Although in general this stream feature indicates that
>     the server supports XMPP 1.0 and therefore supports TLS, it is
>     possible that this stream feature might be stripped out by an
>     attacker (see Section 2.1 of [I-D.ietf-uta-tls-attacks]).
>     Similarly, the <required/> child element of the <starttls/> stream
>     feature is used to indicate that negotiation of TLS is mandatory,
>     but could also be stripped out by an attacker. Therefore, the
>     initiating entity MUST NOT be deterred from attempting TLS
>     negotiation even if the receiving entity does not advertise support
>     for TLS.  Instead, the initiating entity SHOULD (based on local
>     policy) proceed with the stream negotiation and attempt to negotiate
>     TLS.
[Roni Even] OK

> > Section 3.4 may look like authentication is a MUST but section 3.5
> > talks about  unauthenticated connections
>
> Well, there are client-to-server connections and server-to-server
connections in
> XMPP. The former need to be authenticated and the latter do not (although
we
> are working on ways to make authentication easier and more pervasive for
> server-to-server connections). I thought we had captured that in the text,
but
> perhaps not.
[Roni Even] Maybe start section 3.5 saying that it is only about server to
server connection, currently the end of the section says " this at least
enables  encryption of server-to-server connections." But I did not
understand it as saying that this section is only about server to server
connection.

> > On section 3.7 I assume that providing e2e information is based on the
> > XMPP architecture that may have only one server to server hop.  Are
> > there other cases?
>
> In Section 3.7 we weren't trying to say that information can be provided
about
> the end-to-end encryption status of all the hops along a communications
path
> because that's impossible (at least in a way that can be trusted). We
might
> adjust the text to avoid any confusion, as
> follows:
>
> OLD
>     o  Determine if a client-to-server or server-to-server connection is
>        encrypted and authenticated.
>     o  Determine the version of TLS used for a client-to-server or
>        server-to-server connection.
>
> NEW
>     o  Determine if a given incoming or outgoing XML stream is
>        encrypted and authenticated using TLS.
>     o  Determine the version of TLS used for a given stream.
[Roni Even] OK