Re: We should drop the useless urn: prefix

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Dave Cridland <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 26 March 2015 at 18:42, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>     > Since urns are not a distinct syntactic category, the justification
>>     > for the urn: prefix disappears. It is not only useless, it is
>>     > unnecessary. There is no circumstance in which a urn subscheme and a
>>     > uri scheme should be allowed to have divergent meanings.
>>
>>     > Why make people write urn:ietf:rfc:2648 when ietf:rfc:2648 is
>> sufficient?
>>
>> I must agree.
>> This distinction has always confused me.
>

> It's extremely useful in the XMPP world. We have both urn:xmpp (for protocol
> namespaces and other abstract names) and xmpp: (for addressable entities)
> and even xmpp:// (for client connection instructions).
>
> There's no confusion.

Well obviously if you have an X-header and someone declares the same
header then there is an issue. Most cases there isn't.

> Of course, if we made the urn: scheme identifier optional (more or less what
> PH-B appears to suggest) it'd be most interestingly confusing.

I think urn: serves the same function of x-headers which is to say a
useless syntactic distinction that leads to unnecessary confusion.

We should define URI schemes for DOI, UPC and ISSN and make them all top level.

> In some cases, I've seen people use URLs to RFCs as protocol identifiers,
> too; I recall XACML does this for LDAP attributes, which is tremendously
> weird.

Very weird since OASIS has their own urn namespace which they use in
xacml v3 and before that was defined, SAML used the document URNs (at
least in the specs I wrote).

Of course, if there was a prior use of a URL for that purpose it might
have been imported. The only advantage of URNs for that application is
to avoid unnecessary lookups when idiot software goes and slams a
server.