Re: Naive question on multiple TCP/IP channels and please dont start a uS NN debate here unless you really want to.

On 2/6/15, 2:27 PM, "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On 07/02/2015 08:05, Piers O'Hanlon wrote:
>>
>> On 6 Feb 2015, at 18:24, Richard Shockey wrote:
>>

>>> Fine now how do you get the labeling/queueing across the AS boundary?
>>> don¹t know any ISP that accepts or recognizes the packet labeling of
>>> another AS.
>>>
>> Sure - that's another whole ballgame! A number of ISPs blow away the
>>DSCP bits in packets from and to the home, as I understand they use
>>their own set of DSCPs internally.
>
>That is entirely in keeping with the diffserv architecture, which is
>explicit that DSCPs are domain-specific and that traffic may be
>reclassified at domain boundaries. (Which is what operators wanted
>when diffserv was designed.)
>
>> But agreements of use across boundaries aren't that clear and probably
>>wouldn't generally be extended to end users.
>
>Agreements across boundaries require mutual trust, so it's to be
>expected that ISPs will reclassify traffic arriving from subscribers.
>For ISP/ISP boundaries, see
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-diffserv-intercon
>
>> I guess they're also using things like MPLS, or SDN (e.g. Google B4)
>>for traffic engineering.
>
>Diffserv isn't traffic engineering, however.

Well Brian after Feb 26 we don¹t know what DIFFSERV will be.  It may be
illegal unless you can define what a ³specialized service², ³reasonable
network management² or ³commercially reasonable²  actually is.