RE: OPS-DIR review of draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz-08

Hi Tom,

Please see inline

I get your point now, Thanks for the clarification.
Moved text to Appendix.

> Does it become a normative reference as a
> result of bringing the OAuth interchange into scope ?
> >
> >> Fundamentally this document is not about WebRTC (even though that is
> >> the primary application the authors have in mind) and so WebRTC has
> >> no place in the body of the document. The rewriting would be a fair
> >> amount of work, but I will volunteer to help rework the text if need be.
> >
> > WebRTC is only used an example in this document to demonstrate its
> usage.  STUN (rfc5389) also references SIP in various places.
> > Please clarify why this is a concern ?
> >
> [PTT] WebRTC brings in an unnecessary additional complication that
> obscures what you are trying to standardize: the interactions between a
> STUN/TURN client, a STUN/TURN server, and an OAuth authorization server.
> It would be perfectly appropriate to mention in the introduction that the
> OAuth authorization server could be collocated with a WebRTC server, but
> otherwise WebRTC is irrelevant to what you are standardizing.

Okay, added text for clarification.
NEW:
Some sections in this specification show the WebRTC server as the authorization server, however WebRTC is used for illustrative purpose only.

> [...]
> >> the client sends the intersection of the algorithms common to it and
> >> the STUN server to the authorization server. The reason to do this
> >> depends specifically on the statement that the authorization server
> >> generates the session key between the client and resource server in
> >> draft-ietf-oauth-pop-key-distribution (which BTW is expired). I can
> >> see the point of this paragraph in providing a warning to
> >> implementors, but it is probably too speculative unless the depended-
> >> upon I-Ds (stunbis and oauth-pop-key) are very close to completion.
> >> At the least, the sentence relating to the interaction between the
> >> client and authorization server could be removed or made less
> >> detailed. (Relates to the first point above.)
> >
> > It is agreed in the WG that stunbis will be support hash agility and use the
> technique mentioned in the draft.
> > The paragraph below Figure 2 in Section 3 is outcome of the discussion.
> >
> [PTT] ACK
> >>
> >> 3. The first sentence of Section 4 has a lower-case "should". Should
> >> this be "SHOULD" or perhaps "MUST"?
> >
> > Changed to "MUST"
> >
> >> It would also be good to add that this knowledge of the STUN server's
> >> authentication capability may be available prior to the initial
> >> request, or else it is acquired from the
> >> 401 Unauthorized response to the initial STUN request as described
> below.
> >> Maybe the implementation note under Figure 1 belongs down here, at
> >> the more detailed level, rather than in the overview section.
> >
> > Okay, moved the note to Section 4.
> >

> >> 4. The detailed choice of how symmetric key establishment is done is
> >> left open in Section 4.1. Should there be a mandatory-to-implement
> choice ?
> >
> > The consensus in the WG is to keep symmetric key establishment
> > procedure outside scope and not to mandate any symmetric key
> > establishment procedure. Please note that the draft will be updated in
> > the next revision to use ECC to address the comment from Yaron Sheffer
> > as part of SecDir review
> > NEW:
> > Elliptic curve cryptography (ECC) with Elliptic Curve Digital Signature
> Algorithm (ECDSA) or symmetric-key algorithm with Hash based Message
> Authentication Codes (HMACs) MUST be chosen to ensure that the size of
> encrypted token is not large because usage of RSA will result in large
> encrypted tokens which may not fit into a single STUN message.
> > [PTT] ACK
> >>
> >> 5. Perhaps in Section 7 there should be a note that if a STUN server
> >> receives an ACCESS-TOKEN attribute unexpectedly (because it had not
> >> previously sent out a THIRD-PARTY-AUTHORIZATION), it will respond
> >> with an error code of
> >> 420 (Unknown Attribute) as specified in Section 7.3.1 of RFC 5389.
> >
> > Since ACCESS-TOKEN is an comprehension-optional attribute it can be
> ignored by the server and no need return error.
> >
> [PTT] Section 6.2 of the document says that ACCESS-TOKEN is a

You are right, added suggested text to Section 7.
I will publish updated draft tomorrow.

-Tiru