Re: Proposed IETF Websites’ Privacy Policy; Community Input Requested

Hi, the law in question "applies to operators of commercial web sites and online services that collect personally identifiable information about Californians." [1] Like any responsible online commercial entity, the IETF likely has legal counsel that tries to aggregate all of these kinds of legal requirements into a global view of what needs to be affirmatively stated in a privacy policy...

[1]: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/cybersecurity/making_your_privacy_practices_public.pdf

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 12:08 PM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>We are required by California law ...

Why does California law apply to the IETF? To the extent that the IETF
has a legal existence, it is my understanding that ISOC and CNRI, the
grantors of the IETF trust, live in Virginia. AMS is in California
but AMS is a contractor.

R's,
John

PS: I'm not opposed to a reasonable privacy policy, but I am opposed
to legal creep. The next thing you know all the mail will have
footers purporting to be confidential.