Re: Community Input on change to the Trust Legal Provisions to accommodate the inclusion of RFC Templates

Hi,

Question: have you guys considered this scenario? There are a number of
pre-5378 RFCs that appear to include templates (just search the
datatracker for the word ³template²--and there may be more).  If one of
these templates gets updated in an I-D and RFC, the trust may lack the
rights to provide a license to change or fill in the template.

A similar situation is covered in the TLP 4.0 by section 6.c.iii.
However, the situation is more severe here, because a template¹s main (or
only?) purpose is to be modified (by being filled in).

I think it may be worthwhile to document that the proposed language and
mechanism below is incompatible with updates of pre 5378 templates, unless
the necessary rights for the pre-5378 template I-D were obtained by the
trust.  In other words, the language and mechanism proposed below MUST NOT
be used for templates based on templates published in pre-05378 RFCs,
unless the trust has obtain a license under the necessary rights from the
relevant right holders (authors of pre-RFC5378 RFCs or, in some cases,
their employers).

Stephan