RE: [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-downgrade-scsv-03.txt> (TLS Fallback Signaling Cipher Suite Value (SCSV) for Preventing Protocol Downgrade Attacks) to Proposed Standard

________________________________
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 21:12:01 +0100
> From: bmoeller@xxxxxxx
> To: ietf@xxxxxxxx
> CC: tls@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-downgrade-scsv-03.txt>
> (TLS Fallback Signaling Cipher Suite Value (SCSV) for Preventing
> Protocol Downgrade Attacks) to Proposed Standard
>
> Jeffrey Walton <noloader@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:noloader@xxxxxxxxx>>:
> Bodo Moeller <bmoeller@xxxxxxx<mailto:bmoeller@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>> Also, quite clearly, we can't yet know how the TLS 1.3 (1.4, 1.5, ...)
>> rollout will work out.
>
> The WG should be solving problems that do exist; and not manufactured
> problems or theoretical future problems that don't exist.
>
> I can't entirely agree with second part of this statement: presumably
> everyone in the TLS WG is well aware of past design decisions that
> didn't take into account problems that didn't exist then but should
> have been foreseeable. (Related: I really shouldn't have had to
> write https://www.openssl.org/~bodo/ssl-poodle.pdf to kill off the
> fallback to SSL 3.0 in practice ... the "insecure fallback" to earlier
> protocol versions, including SSL 3.0, was a known "theoretical
> problem", and deserving of being addressed independently of concrete
> attacks).
POODLE being in the news probably helped pushed admins to fix these servers,
though it wasn't initially made clear that TLS extension intolerance can also cause SSLv3 fallback.