Re: [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-downgrade-scsv-03.txt> (TLS Fallback Signaling Cipher Suite Value (SCSV) for Preventing Protocol Downgrade Attacks) to Proposed Standard

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Hanno Böck <hanno@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Recently Mozilla has disabled the now so-called protocol dance, which
> makes adding another workaround (SCSV) pretty much obsolete:

Until they add TLS 1.3 support, when they'll need it again.

> (By the way: Has anyone thought what happens when people implement TLS
> hardware that is version intolerant to versions > 1.2 and at the same
> time send SCSV in the handshake? I'm pretty sure that at some point
> some hardware will appear that does exactly that. Will we need another
> SCSV standard for every TLS version then?)

The draft specifies that servers should compare the ClientHello
version to the version that they implement. If a client tries TLS 1.3,
fails because of intolerance then tries TLS 1.2 + FALLBACK_SCSV, the
server will accept the connection because the ClientHello version is
>= its maximum version.

Cheers

AGL