Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-06.txt> (Recommendations for Transport Port Number Uses) to Best Current Practice

Hi, Alexey (et al.),

Suggestions on how to address these concerns below.

On 1/4/2015 11:13 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> On 08/12/2014 23:56, The IESG wrote:
>> The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
>> (tsvwg) to consider the following document:
>> - 'Recommendations for Transport Port Number Uses'
>>    <draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-06.txt> as Best Current Practice
>>
>> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
>> ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2014-12-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
>> sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the
>> beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>>
>> Abstract
>>

>>     This document provides recommendations to application and service
>>     designers on how to use the transport protocol port number space. IT
>>     complements (but does not update) RFC6335, which focuses on IANA
>>     process.
>
> My apologies for late review of the document. I generally think that the
> document is well written and is nearly done, but I have some
> comments/concerns.
>
> 1. Introduction
>
>    This document provides information and advice to system designers on
>    the use of transport port numbers. It provides a detailed historical
>    background of the evolution of transport port numbers and their
>    multiple meanings. It also provides specific recommendations to
>    system designers on how to use assigned port numbers. Note that this
>    document provides information to potential port number applicants
>    that complements the IANA process described in BCP165 [RFC6335], but
>    it does not update that document.
>
> I am a bit confused by the status and purpose of this document. It is a
> BCP, but the introducting
> says that it is purely informational. But then the document has lots of
> RFC 2119 language.
> Is there any intent for this document
> to be of use to port expert reviewers, for example if they want to point
> out why a particular port registration request is rejected?

AFAICT, expert reviewers can use any reason they want to recommend an
approval or rejection; the same is true for IANA. There is an appeals
process to the IESG when a decision disagreement occurs, and they can
make decisions on a case-by-case basis.

The review team does try to provide a consistent set of responses, i.e.,
to treat similar requests as similarly as possible, but again that's not
scripted.

I don't think it's useful to closely or tightly constrain a process
which is both advisory and intended to deal with corner cases.

That's why I think it's appropriate for this doc to be BCP
recommendation to the user (which is how it's written), rather than
explicit constraints for expert review. However, I would expect that
recommendations for users from TSV would be taken as context for
reviews, as would any other TSV documents.

> In 7.1:
>
>          Additional port numbers are not intended to replicate an
>          existing service. For example, if a device is configured to
>          use a typical web browser then it the port number used for
>          that service is a copy of the http service that is already
>          assigned to port number 80 and does not warrant a new
>          assignment. However, an automated system that happens to use
>          HTTP framing - but cannot be accessed by a browser - might be
>
> I have some concerns about "be access by a browser".
>
> One particular case I have in mind is when a service expose some data
> using JSON or ASN.1 (for example a certificate revocation list is
> returned), but also allow a browser to view certificate in a nice form
> using HTML (e.g. for debugging or convenience). I don't think the
> ability to return HTML automatically disqualify this from being an
> independent service, because the whole functionality supported by the
> service can't be implemented just by use of returned HTML.
>
> Inserting "solely" before "by a browser" would address my concern.

Would "primarily" also work? It's hard to argue "solely" even for
conventional web access.

>          a new service. A good way to tell is "can an unmodified client
>          of the existing service interact with the proposed service"?
>          If so, that service would be a copy of an existing service and
>          would not merit a new assignment.
>
> In 7.4:
>
>    Note however that a new service might not be eligible for IANA
>    assignment of both an insecure and a secure variant of the same
>    service, and similarly IANA might be skeptical of an assignment for
>
> I don't think use of wording like "IANA might be skeptical" is correct
> here, because IANA doesn't define policy on this. IETF does. So let's
> call things with right names and don't misuse "IANA" here.

The document isn't written by IANA. We recommend to IANA, and IANA makes
a decision that the IESG can override. I don't think it's outside the
scope of the doc to indicate this context.

Would it be preferable to say that "applications asking for both...
might not be approved when..."?

>    an insecure port number for a secure service. In both cases,
>    security of the service is compromised by adding the insecure port
>    number assignment.
>
> Similarly (in the same section): "IANA currently permits ..."

Same solution here?

Joe