Re: Last Call: RFC 6346 successful: moving to Proposed Standard

Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 05:15:33PM +1100, Mark Andrews:
> > Much
> > of it has to be replaced with newer h/w for v6 support or support folks
> > have to visit each site to perform upgrades (spendy).  Many core devices
> > still have partial or missing support.  Some protocols still lack v6
> > support.  Multihoming is looking rather ugly for small networks (like
> > those with just 1 v4 /24, thus need less than a v6/48).  usw.
>
> I saw the same excuses being handed out a decade ago.  If you have
> equipment that needs to be replace now it means you failed to plan.

You may be over-estimating the margins on home internet access and under-
estimating the cost to upgrade every household (whether the ISP provides
the modem or [worse] the end-user).  thats just one piece of the puzzle.

> I've got 15 year old equipment running IPv6.  I've got lots of IPv6
> equipment that has been end-of-lifed by the manufacturer.  Windows
> XP supported IPv6 and that was releases in 2001.  I've been running
> IPv6 at home for over a decade now.  I was adding IPv6 to the
> products we ship ~16 years ago now and it has basically remained
> unchanged since then.
>
> If your consumer device does not support IPv6 don't blame the IETF.
> Blame the manufacturer.

You can not compare a PC where things can be reasonably done in s/w and
that software is easily upgraded to a simple modem at an end-user location
or to head-end h/w that has to do forwarding in ASICs to deliver the b/w
expected.  These may adapt more slowly and often do not at all, requiring
replacement.