Re: Last Call: RFC 6346 successful: moving to Proposed Standard

On Dec 12, 2014, at 11:32 AM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/12/2014 18:12, heasley wrote:
>> I don't know anyone enchanted by v6.
>
> Strange choice of word. I'm not in the least enchanted by IPv4
> or by NAT44 either. I just know as a matter of fact that the
> IPv4nternet ran out of addresses a while back and we have no
> alternative but to fix it using IPv6. All the rest is details,
> important details of course, but details.

Dear Brian,

Agreed.  One should not support the standardization of a v6 to v4 transitional scheme which significantly weakens protocol security by restricting available port assignments at various points within a path.  Suggested bit ranges of 7 to 10 bits significantly reduces protections otherwise obtained by random assignment.  As such, it makes this a trivial matter for malefactors to deduce likely source entropies.  Although IPv6 creates different challenges, it provides the only viable long term standard moving forward.  In addition, NAT keep-alives tend to consume critical mobile energy resources.

Regards,
Douglas Otis