Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

On 11/16/2014 10:58 AM, Christian Huitema wrote:
> Rather, it's that the mechanism is only offered as a standardized
>> way for a browser to request a feature that already exists in a
>> number of major sites.
>
> And that's precisely the problem.
>
> Sites can easily adapt their services to the needs and desires of
> their users. They can do it today using site specific settings. I am
> pretty sure that these settings require more than just one bit,

"pretty sure"?

This implies that you haven't been tracking the discussion of this topic
so far.

> so we
> have to assume that sites will still need these settings tomorrow
> By creating a standard, we would be creating a social norm.

It's a shame that you ignored the rest of my message, which joined in
noting the much-referenced fact about established practice for this
feature, and that you chose, instead, to launch into detached theory and
surmise, which has little to do with the current topic.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking