Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

On Oct 27, 2014, at 3:54 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28/10/2014 06:57, John Levine wrote:
>>> As it is the meaning of a safe hint is to be intuited by the recipient.
>>
>> Yes.  That's not a bug.
>>
>> I don't understand the point of hypothetical arguments about whether a
>> safe flag might be useful.  We already know the answer: Many of the
>> largest web services in the world already have one.  Youtube puts
>> theirs right on the home page.
>
> John, I don't think the argument is about whether it will work technically
> or whether it will be used. The argument is about whether this is something
> that the IETF should endorse as a Proposed Standard, which implies that
> we think it will be effective.

Just to be clear: are you saying that you believe that those large web properties already doing this has *not* been effective? I have to believe that they have spent more time than us measuring that, and that they came to the conclusion that it was continuing to be effective.

--Paul Hoffman