Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

Hello,
At 14:33 21-10-2014, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'The "safe" HTTP Preference'
  <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2014-11-18. Exceptionally, comments may be

Having the IETF publish this safe hints proposal as a Proposed Standard is not a good idea. However, I do not oppose that as it will not have a negative impact on my interests. I am in two minds about whether to suggest to a regulator to set a requirement for this (intended) standard or not.

From Section 1:

  'That said, the intent of "safe" is to allow end users (or those
   acting on their behalf) to express a desire to avoid content that is
   considered "objectionable" within the cultural context of that site;
   usually (but not always) content that is unsuitable for minors.'

I did not understand the meaning of "cultural context of that site" in the above. Does it mean that content unsuitable for minors in one country may be deemed suitable in another country?

Does cultural context mean that a site that is considered as appropriate in, for example, Canada would not be considered as appropriate in the Norway?

From Section 2:

  "Origin servers that utilize the "safe" preference SHOULD document
   that they do so, along with the criteria that they use to denote
   objectionable content."

From https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/174084?hl=en

  "While it's not 100 percent accurate, we use community flagging,
   age-restrictions, and other signals to identify and filter out
   inappropriate content."

The criteria mentioned above might have to be clarified.

From https://help.pinterest.com/en/articles/safe-mode

  "Safe mode prevents any changes to your account until you reset
   your password."

"Safe mode" means something else on that site.

The site at https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/minors could be encouraged to implement this proposal.

Minors are ingenious. It is simply a matter of time for them to figure out how to bypass the mechanism proposed by this draft [1][2][3][4].

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-25759345
2. https://twitter.com/dalerapp/status/511897259882340352