Re: Media type for PGP message?

On Tue 14/Oct/2014 00:55:40 +0200 Tim Bray wrote:

> Ned, I think that what you’re arguing is that naked ASCII-armored
> messages shouldn’t be used; instead use RFC3156 multipart.  Except
> for, if we can have a media-type for the naked kind, we can integrate
> this stuff between multiple textually-oriented messaging apps
> immediately, right now, no waiting. Waiting for the implementors of
> all these apps to learn the virtues of multipart and then implement is
> unattractive, when there’s an alternative we could use right now.

Among the "virtues of multipart", one is to be content-agnostic, so
that it is not necessarily text what gets delivered upon decription/
verification.  Another one is to be wrappable in turn, allowing
possible misinterpretations as unsigned footers are appended to signed
stuff.

Would it be worth having a generic template for generating media types
for simplified containers which have a single leaf of a given type?

For example, both article.txt.gz and signed_picture.png.asc look like
monopart something.  Would it be enough to say "text+gzip" and
"image+pgp-signature" for monopart subtypes?

Just wondering
Ale