Re: Proposed IESG structure change

Hi Pete,
At 08:33 10-10-2014, Pete Resnick wrote:
Assuming you meant "not willing", I think you're being a bit unrealistic, or at least not being nuanced enough, about this. For better or worse, the way we select folks for the IESG now, we ask for a serious two year commitment, one that normally involves talking to employers and re-arranging life for quite some period of time. Even if *theoretically* a given AD would be willing to resign for the good of the community, there are going to be cultural and social pressures on the IESG not to "re-organize one of their own out of a job". I'd like to think we weren't susceptible to such influences, but I think it's there in the background. Furthermore, it's not really fair to ask someone to make a commitment

I'll highlight a point in the above: pressure not to reorganize one of their own out of a job. Here's what APPS may be in 2016:

  - The current APPS AD deciding whether to stay or not

If the IESG drops one of the APPS AD roles the new APPS AD would stay on and the current APPS AD role is redundant [1].

If the IESG is creating a Area A it would have to define the expertise for "A". This might entail reviewing all the AD roles for that area. The IESG still ends up with reorganizing one or more of their own out of a job.

I would say:

  (a) Shut down APPS in 2016

  (b) Define the expertise for "A" for 2016

Some of the working groups in (a) does not necessarily have to move to "A". By doing this in 2016 you get to push in desired expertise into more than one area [2].

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. This is the process angle.
2. One does not have to look for rare birds.