Re: Facts and draft-state information (was Re: Protocol Action: 'Case-Sensitive String Support in ABNF' to Proposed Standard (draft-kyzivat-case-sensitive-abnf-02.txt)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Spencer Dawkins at IETF" <spencerdawkins.ietf@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Barry Leiba" <barryleiba@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>; <iesg@xxxxxxxx>; "RFC Editor"
<rfc-editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 7:08 PM

Just piling in after Barry here ... and speaking as the AD who had the
most
recent ¨draft on a telechat agenda with consensus = unknown¨, but I'm
hardly the only one.

The field in the tracker is labeled ¨consensus¨, which is ambiguous but
actually means ¨IETF consensus¨. So, it should be set after IETF Last
Call.

A fair number of the documents I've processed already had it set to
¨yes¨
when they were publication-requested, so that means the shepherd/working
group chairs thought it meant ¨working group consensus¨.

I believe - but Barry would know - that we've requested that the field
label be changed to ¨IETF Consensus¨ in the datatracker.

(I know we talked about that, but I don't know whether we've made the
request yet)

<tp>

What would be even more helpful would be, as in other systems I use, the
ability to click on a field name and be taken to a help facility for the
various values that can appear in a field.

BUT ... it would only be worth doing if we have the resources to
maintain such a system.  I say that because the second biggest problem I
have with the IETF website (after the denial of service caused by
https:// :-(  is incorrect links, that have not been updated as and when
the website has been reorganised.  I do not have the experience of
website maintenance to know why this is a problem (just observe that it
is, with both the IETF and other websites).

Tom Petch
</tp>

Spencer