Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

Eliot,

On 4 Oct 2014, at 4:48 pm, Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Your own group benefited from cross area review, both from transport and
> security.  Now it is true that area directors and one WG chair flew to
> your interim meetings.  But normal people didn’t.

I don’t see how this is relevant; I’m not asking to avoid cross-area review, or to eliminate meetings during the IETF week. Both are valuable.

Regarding “normal people” — I do not think that means what you think it means...

> I think you are
> asking for something else, however: more time at the main meeting.

That’s largely orthogonal, and AIUI more time *is* available to those who ask, space permitting.

> And
> that I could get on board with.  It would not be easy logistically, but
> I think it is worth an experiment, at least.  What if you found yourself
> with 2 days of meeting time?  And how much would that be worth to you
> and your company?

Two days is useful when you can focus everyone’s attention on the matter at hand; I’m not sure whether having such a meeting during the circus that is the IETF week — when people will inevitably want to duck out for a few hours to attend other meetings — would be useful.

The experiment to seat people differently during the IETF week meetings is very interesting, though.

> And while I am not against interim in person
> meetings, the pace you proceeded at did substantially increase the cost
> of participation.  On the other hand, maybe it will be worth the
> results.  We cannot yet say.

We proceeded at the pace dictated by our charter. This was very deliberate; I can’t ask engineers who aren’t standards professionals or academic researchers to invest an open-ended number of years into an effort. And, considering the ever-raising costs of coming to an IETF week (to return to the original thread), the cost of attending an interim is substantially less than going to the IETF meeting.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/