Re: Ever-more-steep barriers (was: IETF registration fee increase from 2015)

Hi Moonesamy,

On Saturday, October 4, 2014, S Moonesamy wrote:

The argument for the week-long meeting is that it is to encourage cross-area participation.  Has that happened in practice [1]?

IMO not happened in practice and does cost us money. We have WGs with small attendance that need to join together for cross-participations. For example when I attended a one day IETF89 meeting I expected MANET WG to have attendance of above 20 but was not, the room was able to take 100 so we were using only about 20% which can be seen as waste of money. I suggest if WG meet in IETF avenues with less than 20 we join it with others for cross participation.

There is a steep barrier to participation (re. don't have the time to focus full-time).    It is worthwhile to consider whether breaking that barrier for developers and implementers is worth it.

Good point. I want to add that there may be many small size WGs that are taking separate rooms while they may be in the same area or can join another WG as cross-participation. THAT separation COSTS MONEY and TIME per meeting. If we look into attendance size per WG per room-size per meeting-time, then we may find better strategies for reservation expenses and cross WG/area participation.

AB

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. I mean whether there is cross-area participation from new people.