Re: put the paypal donation button in every rfc?

On Oct 2, 2014, at 11:56 PM, Geoff Mulligan <geoff.ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As someone participating in the IETF as self-funded, while I don't necessarily like increase, the $50 increase is small compared to the cost to fly to and stay in Hawaii (personally I could go to Minneapolis 3 times a year).  The registration is just one small part of the actual expense of attending.

I agree. Whether funded by a big company, a small company, or your own little one-person consultancy, the registration cost is easily dominated by three things:
  • Travel cost (for me - always, but it’s most of the time for everyone)
  • Hotel cost (nearly always)
  • Hopefully, what each of us does on a regular work-week is worth more than $700.

It’s the last one that gives big companies a significant advantage. A Cisco or a Huawei can afford to send 100 or dozens of engineers to meetings three times a year, and can afford for them to take on roles as chairs, IAB and IAOC members, and area directors. That costs a lot more than $700 three times a year.

Yoav