Re: Last Call: <draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-08.txt> (Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs) to Best Current Practice

>    This document defines the designated expert mechanism with respect to
>    documents in the IETF stream only.  Documents in other streams may
>    only use a registration policy that requires a designated expert if
>    those streams (or those documents) specify how designated experts are
>    appointed and managed.  What is described below, with management by
>    the IESG, is only appropriate for the IETF stream.
>
> Can you explain what is meant by this paragraph, and could you provide an
> example where this document does NOT apply?

The "only" is misplaced in the second sentence; that sentence should
be, "Documents in other streams may use a registration policy that
requires a designated expert only if those streams (or those
documents) specify how designated experts are appointed and managed."

This comes from situations that have arisen wherein a document in the
Independent Stream asks for a new registry with "Expert Review", which
commits the IESG to appointing and managing a designated expert.  This
paragraph is meant to say that, for example, and Independent Stream
document that makes such a request also has to specify who is
responsible for appointing and managing the DE -- and that isn't going
to be the IESG.  It also allows for, say, the IRTF to write a document
that says that documents in the IRTF Stream can do this, and the DEs
are appointed and managed by the IRSG.

I will correct the placement of the "only" in my copy.

>    o  The designated expert is not required to personally bear the
>       burden of evaluating and deciding all requests, but acts as a
>       shepherd for the request, enlisting the help of others as
>       appropriate.  In the case that a request is denied, and rejecting
>       the request is likely to be controversial, the expert should have
>       the support of other subject matter experts.  That is, the expert
>       must be able to defend a decision to the community as a whole.

First, I'll note that this paragraph is unchanged from RFC 5226.

> The penultimate sentence of the paragraph seems to impose a new step to
> reject a request.  I'd like to understand what led to this text being
> inserted.

You'll have to ask Thomas and Harald that question.

> As the IESG been inundated with appeals of technical expert
> decisions?

We have not.

> I am concerned because if we increase the burden on experts who
> are volunteers, I'd point out, people may find that the effort isn't worth
> the results to continue.

As this has been in effect since 2008, I don't think it's a problem.
I welcome any specific change you have to suggest.

Barry