[saag]: DNSSEC PKI semantics and risks (was tangentially: Last Call: <draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-01.txt>)

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 06:39:37PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

> The other end is equally bad.  DNSSEC protects the integrity of
> data already stored in the DNS.  But, if the proverbial Bad Guy
> can compromise a domain name registrar and register a name that
> is misleading or otherwise problematic, certificates tied to
> that name may not be very useful, especially as assertions of
> good and upright behavior associated with, e.g., mail traffic.
> Whether DANE-type certificates that depend on DNSSEC and
> registrar integrity are more of less trustworthy than PKI-type
> certificates that depend on certificate chains,
> low-assertion-quality certificates, and CA integrity is an
> interesting question... but one that might easily be resolved by
> a race to the bottom.

If folks want to continue this nuanced tangential discussion,
perhaps a separate thread on saag, or on Perry's cryptography list
would be more appropriate.  I'm having a hard enough time keeping
track of all the on-topic LC mail.

I am Redirecting replies to saag only, and changing the subject.
With any luck I've also removed the "References:" header, thus
severing the new thread from the original.

[ For what it is worth, I for one, don't expect certificates to
warrant trustworthy or upright counterparty behaviour.  I only
expect them to ensure channel integrity for my connection to
whichever deviant fraudster I've chosen to connect to. :-)  Please
express any disagreement or agreement or disagreement with that
sentiment in another thread.  Thanks. ]

--
	Viktor.