Re: Best Effort Key Management (was Re: [saag] Last Call: <draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-01.txt>

On Wednesday, August 06, 2014 10:09:27 Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, Dave Crocker wrote:
> >   Best Effort Encryption
>
> That's actually a pretty good term. It can range from better than
> nothing (no key management, with fallback to clear) to mutually
> authenticated encryption (key management, no fallback to clear). And
> even include TOFU.
>
> The biggest problem with Opportunistic Security I have is that security
> is so much more than just encryption, but our current efforts against
> pervasive monitoring are mostly about encryption and optionally (though
> preferably) with some authentication.

I don't see why it's better to pick a more narrowly scoped term, just because
current efforts are more narrowly scoped.  I think that having a broad term
like OS defined is useful in that it covers other possibilities when they come
up.

As Viktor has mentioned, OS is a term that isn't inherently tied to a specific
protocol or security requirement.  I think that's a good thing.  It's a useful
concept to use in the process of designing security into protocols.

I was not involved in the saag discussions that led up to this, but I really
like the term opportunistic security.  I think it better captures the dynamics
of what's intended by the concept.

Scott K