Re: Best Effort Key Management (was Re: [saag] Last Call: <draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-01.txt>

On 8/6/2014 7:00 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> However I *really* do not think we'd be wise to re-start the work
> looking for a new term or a new meaning so I won't comment on
> your suggestions along those lines.

Stephen,

That type of response represents what is called a 'sunk cost' error. It
entails continuing with a problematic choice because of its time in
service, rather than switching to a better choice, in the false belief
that the problematic issues can be resolved.

The problems with the term 'opportunistic security' are multiple,
serious and inherent.

What happens with sunk cost errors is that the folks working closely on
the topic become attached to it and are frankly unrealistic about how
deep and intractable the problems are.

In the case of a vocabulary exercise, as we are having here, folks in
the core effort get comfortable with some sort of shared 'sense' of
things and miss the fact that even that vague sense will be missing when
the rest of the world uses the term.  Instead, the rest of the world
will spontaneously and repeatedly invent whatever suits it.

Your citing a scope of use as IETF-ish folk represents the problem.  We
must not be an enclave.

So what we are going to get is a term that has no obvious and clear
meaning.

d/
--
Dave Crocker