Re: DMARC and ietf.org

On 21/07/2014 04:12, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Monday, 21 July, 2014 02:03 +1200 Brian E Carpenter
> <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 21/07/2014 01:26, Michael Richardson wrote:
>>> Regardless of how/if/why/when we process DMARC as a
>>> specification, we need to decide how ietf.org MTA is going to
>>> deal with things.
>>>
>>> 1) someone has to fund changes to mailman, and perform
>>> testing, installation, and community education for the IETF
>>>    mailing lists.  That implies that we have to decide *for
>>>    ourselves* where and how we will "break" the DMARC/DKIM
>>>    connection,  and if we will reject email from p=reject
>>>    senders before we attempt to relay.
>> I thought the preferred solution was to rewrite the From for
>> those users only.
>
> Brian,
>
> I think that remains controversial.  At least some of us would
> prefer that we scan IETF lists for addresses that might be
> affected, notify those people that they will no longer be able
> to send to IETF lists from those addresses,

Yes, of course, and I've done that for the IETF lists I administer,
as far as possible. As a practical matter, though, I would selectively
rewrite rather than throw people off. I'd like to have that choice.

> and then, while we
> would continue to deliver traffic to them to the degree
> feasible, any traffic originating from them would simply be
> rejected or bounced by mailman.  That requires changes and some
> tool work too, but puts the pain where it belongs -- on the
> DMARC-using systems and those who choose to have addresses on
> then.
>
> I have mixed feelings about recommending that strategy for the
> more general community and am happy to let the proposed WG do
> its job, but, as far as the IETF community is concerned, we are
> all presumably capable of understanding the issues and finding
> other addresses if needed.

I would hope so, but changing one's address is a significant
nuisance. So I'd like a choice of pragmatic solutions while
we wait.

   Brian