Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-05.txt> (A NULL MX Resource Record for Domains that Accept No Mail) to Proposed Standard

In article <20140718032611.7B87E1A7B838@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:

>There are lots of machines which do not have the SMTP port configured
>yet have A or AAAA records resulting in a implicit MX record and
>week+ long no delivery notifications.

Right.  That's exactly, precisely, the problem that null MX is
intended to address.

>The alternative to this is to remove the implicit MX record
>construction from SMTP and make the presence of MX records mandatory
>for SMTP.  I'm sure there will be many more complaints about doing
>that than adding a explicit no service record.

That would be fine with me, but I hear it's 30 years too late, even for IPv6.

R's,
John