Re: Time to move beyond the 32 bit Internet.

On 07/01/2014 04:19 PM, Christian Huitema wrote:
>> I should have included one more aspect in the third set. That is
>> traffic disallowed by policy. Current top-of-mind in security
>> circles includes NTP attacks - someone sends a message with a
>> spoofed source address to an NTP server, which now sends something
>> to that address every mumble time units...
>
> Presumably, your firewall could have some kind of source address
> verification that takes care of such spoofing.
>
> As for "diode firewalls," they can be bypassed trivially using ICE,
> STUN, etc.

Does that really count as "the firewall being bypassed"? -- If it
requires collaboration from the inside, I wouldn't count that as
"bypassing".

A simple diode firewall essentially prevents e.g. trivial
address-scanning from the outside. And in the light of IoT, where you
might have devices with buggy code (including "default passwords that
were never changed") that maybe never get patched/updated, even such a
simple policy is probably useful.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont