Re: Time to move beyond the 32 bit Internet.

On Jun 24, 2014, at 5:56 PM, Mark Andrews <marka@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <20140624235543.332511AD64@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Rex writes:
>> Mark Andrews wrote:

>> v6.

>> te

>> ,

>>> Given there are ISP delivering IPv6 + DS-Lite today over fibre
>>> because they have run out of addresses it is time that *everybody*
>>> starts complaining to every supplier that doesn't ship equipement
>>> / services with IPv6 enabled by default.
>>

>> Why would any private individual want to get an IPv6 address?
>> With DHCP IPv4 + NAT (on your Home router) and even more so with CGN,
>> you may have at least a vague chance that your ID doesn't stick out
>> of every IP datagram like a sore thumb.  With IPv6, you're stripped
>> naked for traffic analysis by every governmental agency worldwide, no matter
>> how strong you encrypt your traffic.
>
> Because with CGN, DS-Lite and NAT64 you have a third class IPv4
> internet.  You can't run any services what so ever.  You cannot do
> anything that requires anything other than UDP or TCP over IPv4.
> Try running IPv4 in IPv4 or IPv6 in IPv4 tunnels over CGN, DS-Lite
> and NAT64.  They do not work due to the addresses sharing.  Try
> running a NAS from behind them, it does not work.
>
> With one level of NAT that you control (second class internet) you
> can kludge around some of the issues cause by not having global
> addresses ability of every machine.  UPNP helps here.
>
> As for you ID sticking out, IPv6 is no worse that IPv4 is for all
> practical purposes with currently shipping IPv6 stacks.  They have
> privacy addresses and they are turned on by default.

IPv6 privacy addresses aren't changed very frequently -- I see them change only every 24 hours.  Can they change more frequently with sysctl or application encouragement?  I know NAPT assigns a new port for every connection, which is how often we need a new IPv6 privacy address to provide NAPT-equvilence host obfuscation.

-d