Re: The P in NAPT != Privacy was Re: Time to move beyond the 32 bit Internet.

On 06/25/2014 07:55 AM, Brian Trammell wrote:

> Network address translation is simply an expedient technique to
> tease a few more bits out of the address space by hiding those bits
> in transient state kept along the path. The assumption that it is
> somehow hard to store or reconstruct that transient state is simply
> incorrect.
>
> As a method for protecting privacy, NAT is privacy theater, full
> stop.

I'd go a step further. Given that address translation needs things like
CGN, STUN, uPnP and portforwarding to get the most basic of things
working, I think the whole picture gives you less privacy and security
than a completely untranslated end-to-end world does.

BTW, now that Microsoft is finally feeling some actual pain due to a
lack of new addresses in their azure cloud, perhaps there is some hope
that some big parties are finally starting to move.

BTW2, tbh i think calling it 32 vs 64/128 bits 'internet' will make it
even more confusing. I'd prefer something like 'ye olde obsolete
adressing'.

Jelte