Re: Mailing List reminders

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alessandro Vesely" <vesely@xxxxxxx>
To: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2014 12:16 PM

> On Thu 05/Jun/2014 10:51:05 +0200 T.p. wrote:
> > I used to get a reminder once a month of the mailing lists to which
I am
> > subscribed, such as this one, but, around the time of IETF89, this
> > stopped working.  I see that the option on every one of the lists to
> > which I am subscribed has been reset to not send a reminder, not
> > something that I would intentionally ever do
>
> I'd be curious to know some more on the usefulness of reminders.

They are useful because e-mail is overridingly spam or something else
evil.
Mailing lists have no reliable way of authenticating the From: address.
Therefore mailing lists implement a system to suspend a subscription
when enough inappropriate mail has come with a given From: address.
This happens to me with IETF WG lists (such as, in the past, v6ops).
At the same time, some lists are so quiet, especially now in the
inter-IETF meeting stadia that it is hard to tell whether or not one is
still subscribed. (and I note a number of 'Test' posts to lists which
suggests others have similar concerns).
The monthly reminder enables me to check that I am still subscribed.
Logical.
Tom Petch