Re: Internet 2020 Goals

I can see these as goals that the Internet Society might want to
adopt. I'm not sure that 2) and 3) are IETF goals in any way,
and I think we've got as close to stating 1) in technical terms
as we ever will (see RFC 7258 for the bibliography on that).

One more comment in line...

On 16/05/2014 07:16, Dave Cridland wrote:
> I find myself agreeing with pretty much everything you wrote here. The
> thing I agree with most of all is the idea of selecting some long-range
> goals so we can at least aim for them. My inlined comments are all minor.
>
> On 15 May 2014 17:57, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> 1) Security: All Internet protocols should provide confidentiality and
>> integrity by default.
>>

> I generally agree with this as a default stance, but I do have some worries
> that particularly on the constrained client end, we may need to ensure that
> we can lose much of the security. It's happened before.
>
> I think we can ensure that the network proxies involved always handle
> services which require confidentiality and integrity, though.
>
> This suggests we have a "zeroth law", as Asimov would put it, of:
>
> 0) Interoperability: All Internet protocols should be capable of
> independent implementation on a range of platforms and deployments with no
> visible limitation in functionality.

Frankly I doubt that. Either it's fairly meaningless (a "range" could be
just two types of device) or it's impossible (some protocols are definitely
only going to work in specific environments; see ROLL for example).

   Brian