Re: Will mailing lists survive DMARC?

Ok, one more mail...but the last one (I claim)... ;-)

On 29 apr 2014, at 14:45, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The issue is that the operators in this case are externalizing their
> problem.  The operator makes the decision and establishes a policy
> that causes mailing list postings from addresses inside the operator's
> domain of control to bounce.  The person who has to cope with those
> bounces is the mailing list manager, and _not_ the mail domain
> operator.  The cost of the side effect is not actually borne by the
> mail domain operator.  So there certainly is damage to someone other
> than the operator of the mail domain (or its customers).

The problem exists if A is publishing such a policy, B is acknowledging the policy, B is generating a bounce, and the bounce is hitting the mailing list provider.

I do not understand why a bounce should be generated (and not the incoming mail to B would be tagged as spam and/or null-routed).

That said, the result of the above is that B is unsubscribed from the mailing list due to large number of bounces, but that is because B is recognizing the policy A is publishing.

Do I get this right?

   Patrik