Re: Review of draft-kucherawy-dmarc-base-04

Do we really want to be discussing changes to this draft on the main
IETF list?

> S Moonesamy wrote:
> >
> > In Section 8:
> >
> >    "If the RFC5322.From domain does not exist in the DNS, Mail Receivers
> >     SHOULD direct the receiving SMTP server to reject the message."
> >
> > Why is there such a recommendation?  What is a mail receiver?  I am
> > asking the question as there is "receiving SMTP server" in that sentence.

> That would be silly.  RFC5322.From might contain no DNS domain to begin with.

It has to contain a domain. If it doesn't it's syntactically invalid. Here's
the relevant ABNF:

 from            =   "From:" mailbox-list CRLF
 mailbox-list    =   (mailbox *("," mailbox)) / obs-mbox-list
 obs-mbox-list   =   *([CFWS] ",") mailbox *("," [mailbox / CFWS])
 mailbox         =   name-addr / addr-spec
 name-addr       =   [display-name] angle-addr
 angle-addr      =   [CFWS] "<" addr-spec ">" [CFWS] / obs-angle-addr
 obs-angle-addr  =   [CFWS] "<" obs-route addr-spec ">" [CFWS]
 addr-spec       =   local-part "@" domain

There's no way through that doesn't include at least one addr-space, which in
turn contains a domain.

> > In Section 10.1:
> >
> >    "Have no RFC5322.From field (which is also forbidden under RFC 5322
> >     [MAIL])"
> >
> > Where is it stated in RFC 5322 that it is forbidden?  That RFC
> > specifies a syntax for the Internet Message Format.

See the table in section 3.6. It says that the minimum number of from fields
in the header is 1.

> Some MTAs (sendmail?) seem to recreate an RFC5322.From from the Envelope,
> in case that it is missing in the message.

Indeed they do. It's a reasonable action to take on message submission.
Relay is more ... interesting.

				Ned