Re: (DMARC) We've been here before, was Why mailing lists

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 01:15:04PM -0700, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > And I'd suggest that if MUA's do evolve in that manner, maybe it's a
> > hint that the problem which the DMARC cheerleaders tried to sweep away
> > as "not a problem" really *is* a problem that users really care about.
> > And I would hope that in the future, they don't once again try to do
> > something that only meets their own parochial interests, and ignores
> > everyone elses' concerns.
> >

> There are some rather broad brush strokes here, and I'm running out of
> steam trying to keep the record straight.  I'll try once more:
>
> As John and others have already said, DMARC works fine for specific use
> cases.  It's already been in use by other large operators like Bank of
> America, PayPal, Facebook, and others for quite some time, with no visible
> impact.  The results for them have been very positive.  Google also has it
> turned on part-way for the domain their employees use.
>
> The difference here is that Yahoo has users that send mail where those
> others do not.

This sounds like the, "Once the rockets go up, who cares *where* they
come down; it's not my department, says Werner von Braun" defense.

Like it or not, the (mis)-application of DMARC has caused some
significant pain for some parts of the Internet.  Maybe *you* don't
care about it, but some of us have to deal with the distruction that
yahoo.com has wrought.

						- Ted